Monday, October 19, 2009

The First Tent Time

The bonding process has been going well for us the last few days. CB and Foehn have become comfortable in their new home. M has been keeping them in a bonding pouch during the day, and the other day was able to pick them up and place them in the pouch without any crabbing or problems. They woke up long enough to do their thing and get a drink of water. Foehn now allows us to pet her, although she still crabs from time to time.

Yesterday we decided to try letting them play in a tent. I set up a two-man tent we have, and last night I climbed in, along with a vegetable plate and a couple of toys. They were still asleep when M handed them to me in the tent, but once coaxed out of the pouch they started to explore. We were in there for an hour and a half, and they had a ball. They ran all over the tent, facing off with each other from time to time, then running to a corner and back again. Foehn loved to climb the screening, and at one point spent almost 15 minutes climbing around the top of the tent. The big moment, though, was when Foehn climbed up my back to my shoulder, and then jumped to the floor of the tent - twice! CB also jumped on me once or twice, and that was a big step for both of them in terms of trust. They are still a little skittish about hands, although both were sniffing my hand but neither bit last night. However, M was trying to rub Foehn through the screen and she took a bite down on M's finger.

I just sat in the tent the whole time, not really moving too much and let them do the exploring. I really didn't expect too much for the first time, but they quickly took to being in the open space. I think they would have kept going for as long as we would let them, but after about 90 minutes they were slowing down a bit and I was getting tired of sitting in one spot! I placed the bonding pouch on the floor of the tent and after a few minutes they both curled up in there (CB was first, of course). Once back in their cage they both ate some and got a drink, then settled in for a nap. Play time is tiring!

No comments:

Post a Comment