Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A Change of Scenery

I have the week after Christmas off from work, so we decided to try something while I am home. During my morning ritual with Foehn and CB (when I give them their before-bedtime treat) we've wondered if they would come out of the cage to (and on) me for their treat, and not take off exploring. I have not wanted to do this during a regular work week. If one or both decided to take off, let's just say my day would not get off to a good start.

On Saturday we moved the gliders' cage from its corner in the family room into my office. It is probably the most glider-proof room in the house next to the bathroom. Not perfect, but there's not much they can get into. The idea was to "invite" them out of the cage in the morning to get their treat and see what happens in a controlled environment.

So it was with some anticipation I headed for the cage Sunday morning at my regular time (about 6:45 a.m.). I did not hear the usual rustling they make running up and down the side of the cage when they hear me come out. They were already in the pouch! Not just in the pouch, wriggling around getting settled, but sound asleep. Bummer. I pretty quickly realized why they turned in early, or so I thought. The office has two large windows which provide a lot of natural light. Their corner in the family room is not quite so exposed and stays somewhat dark. So, we made a point to shut the blinds in the office Sunday night so that it would stay darker in the morning Yesterday morning I was happy to see they were up and waiting for me, but as luck would have it I had to put off the experiment because of time (something came up I had to take care of). Today I came in fully prepared, treat in hand, and there was no sound coming from the cage. They were already asleep for the day! I'll give it another try tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment