Monday, March 29, 2010

Somebody is Out There...

About 5:30 on Saturday morning we woke up to barking. This went on for about an hour, and I decided to get up and give CB & Foehn their morning treat. When I stepped out in to the kitchen, it was clear the barking was coming from both cages. First Virga or Cirrus would bark, and then a response would come from CB & Foehn. This is the second time this has occurred that we know of.  The barking subsided once they all heard me in the kitchen. When I went to give Foehn and CB their morning treat, I found them glued to the back of their cage. Normally, when I walk in the room they are all excited and waiting for me to open the door and let them on my lap for their treat. On Saturday they just hung on the back of the cage not moving.. After a few minutes CB headed for their sleeping pouch, and Foehn eventually worked her way over to me. This was the same behavior they exhibited last time the barking between cages occurred. It seems CB & Foehn both might have been a little bothered over the fact they were getting a response to their barking and weren't quite sure what to make of it.

Our bonding with Virga and Cirrus seems to be going well.  M usually spends sometime with them in the afternoon, and I've had them in the tent twice the last few days. They seem to really enjoy being able to climb and jump around the tent. They spend a lot of time jumping on me, and tonight Virga was grooming the back of my neck. Although they don't seem too afraid in the tent, they still tend to be a little skittish in the cage. Cirrus still crabs at us when we check on them while they are in the their sleeping pouch, but it seems to be more halfhearted each day and more for effect than anything else.

The next stage, which we will try to do soon, is move their cages into the same room. Both pairs know the other pair is somewhere nearby. It will be interesting to see how they react when they can see each other. That should tell us a lot about if, or how well and how long it might take for them to accept each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment