Saturday, March 20, 2010

An Active Day for Two Middle Age Ladies

Since M had a successful time with Virga and Cirrus in the bathroom yesterday, we decided to give it a try again today since I was home and we could both be in there with them. Once they were coaxed/bribed out of their sleeping pouch with meal worms and a few licks of yogurt, both Virga and Cirrus were non-stop balls of fur. They climbed over and on both M and I without signs of fear. However, this is still a new situation for them and they certainly don't trust us completely (Cirrus' crabbing reminds us of that), but we are surprised at how much they do. Climbing on us is a big thing trust-wise, and they even hold still and let us pet them without running or trying to nip our fingers.

One thing was clear in the 30 minutes we had them in the bathroom - they love to climb! I'm not just talking about climbing on us, but on everything, and trying to climb higher and higher. There is not much in this small bathroom, just a pedestal sink and a toilet. The last thing I thought I would see is a sugar glider climbing a smooth glass object, but there was Cirrus shinnying up the porcelain pedestal of the sink!  She is also rather adventurous. She had climbed on my shoulder and then jumped from there to the sink (a distance of about a foot). She then made her way on to the faucet, and jumped from there to a towel on the towel ring on the wall. I then noticed she was scanning above looking for her next target. I'm not sure what the target was. The light fixture above the sink might have been what caught her attention, but there was no way she was going to make that jump. Well, before I could get to her she tried, and she didn't make it. Fortunately, Cirrus caught herself on the towel and broke her fall. I offered her my hand (with a piece of fleece in it). She climbed in and I let her down to the floor. Not long after, Virga followed the same path and I had to rescue her, too. Cirrus, in particular, seems to really like to climb. She climbed up to the toilet seat using the water line, then jumped to the top of the tank, then to the top of the tissue box that was sitting there.  From that perch she was still looking for someplace higher to climb. I'm looking forward to the time when we can have them in the tent.

Virga (left) and Cirrus (right). I wanted to get a photo of them side by side, but they were pretty frisky this afternoon and wouldn't hold still long enough. Even so, Cirrus' smaller size is apparent in the photo. They also seem to be somewhat darker colored than CB and Foehn.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's Mary. ( I used to blog, mostly about baking.) I am absolutely elated to see they are doing so well! Thank you for all you are doing for them. I hope you are comfortable with me posting comments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure Mary, feel free to comment!

    ReplyDelete