Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Under the Big Top

We've had a couple of great tent sessions the last three nights. M and I think one of the reasons is that we decided to leave the wheel out of the tent for the time being. When it's there, Foehn and CB spend all their time on it. Without the wheel, they have to occupy themselves by running around, climbing on the tent, and climbing on me.

I'm able to lure them out of their pouch with a treat after they have awakened. The first offering or two is sometimes taken back into the pouch, but I hold each subsequent one further away from the pouch so they have to come all the way out. CB got the best of me tonight once...he stretched out of the pouch but left two toes holding on, and once he got his treat he pulled himself back in.

There has been more progress in establishing trust each night. They now regularly climb up and on to my legs and use them as a jumping off point to the tent wall. I've been putting a yogurt treat in my shirt pocket hoping they will smell it and then go after it, but so far no takers. They both had a a good day's sleep so they were full of energy. The big step tonight was that tonight, for the first time, they jumped on to my shoulder from the tent, and then off my shoulder to the floor or back on to the tent several times. Once of them jumped to my head as well, but I'm not sure who it was. When they are running and jumping it's pretty hard to tell who's who.

One of the things we enjoy watching them do (and they like it too) is "diving for mealies". We have a plastic contained filled with plastic practice golf balls and other small balls and toys. We put some meal worms in the container, in the golf balls, and in some of the small toys. They smell the meal worms and then go foraging in the container for their treat (they love meal worms - most gliders do). Sometimes all you see is a furry butt and tail sticking out of the container. Here's a photo from tonight's session.

Diving for mealies


We ended tonight's time in the tent after two hours. Although they were slowing down a bit, they were still rarin' to go and weren't real happy about having to ending play time.

No comments:

Post a Comment