Friday, November 13, 2009

On the Mend

We had a surprisingly quiet night. Foehn spent the night in the "hospital cage" on the heated floor of our bathroom. I woke up about 2:30 a.m. and she was awake but quiet. I had to refill her water bottle because it had dripped out into one of the blankets, and she crabbed a bit when I removed the bottle. M said she laid awake listening for Foehn until about 1:30 a.m., and when she went in at 4:00 a.m. Foehn was sleeping. The only other noise was about 5:45 a.m., just before my alarm went off. I heard some barking and wasn't sure where it was coming from. Once I was awake enough I realized it was CB and found him pretty active, climbing all over the cage. We think he was just calling for Foehn because it was time to go to sleep. He eagerly licked some yogurt from my finger (following it up with a chomp on my finger each time) and then checked out the two pouches in the cage looking for Foehn before climbing into one.

The visit to the vet was reassuring. He examined her closely, using a small hand-held examination camera connected to a laptop computer. With it he could examine her with magnification, and save the images on the laptop. Pretty cool. He told us that her injury was relatively minor and does happen occasionally with gliders. We are still not sure how it happened. The nail may or not grow back, but in a couple of days she should be feeling a lot better. You can tell it still bothers her a bit, but even the vet said that he could not tell right off the bat which limb was affected. We'll be keeping an eye on her for the next few days to make sure that it continues to heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment