Sunday, June 12, 2011

Cruisin'

Sunday is weigh day, when we weigh each of the gliders and chart their weight.  So, today after breakfast I went to get things set up. Usually M coaxes them out of the pouch with some yogurt, and when they venture out I take them one by one in separate pouch to weigh them and then bring them back. When they all have been weighed, they get some mealworms and then head back to sleep.

The last step in prep is to get them from the cage.  Usually it's a matter of just unhooking the pouch they are sleeping in and bringing it in the office. There are currently three pouches in the cage, one large one and two smaller ones. I first checked the large pouch, and no gliders. OK, no problem...sometimes they split up and go in different pouches. I check the first of the two smaller pouches, and no gliders. I check the second, and it's empty. In a bit of panic I quickly check all the doors on the cage and thankfully they are closed. The only other place they could be is the boat on the bottom of the cage.  I reached in to check the boat and as soon as I touched it there was some crabbing. Sure enough, all four gliders were tucked back in the boat. This was a first for them - they always have slept in their pouch, or at least in a blanket on the floor of the cage.  So, I picked up the boat and brought it into the office. M called to them, and  four little heads peeked out to see what all the fuss was about.

The toy boat in the cage where I found them sleeping
Cirrus gets a few licks of yogurt while Foehn and CB peek out. Virga was hanging back.

No comments:

Post a Comment