Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Lassie Moment

     Well, as Berg said, taking the gliders on an overnight is as bad as packing up for a trip with a baby. The first night, it was much like sleeping with a new baby, too, keeping your ears cocked for that sound of trouble.  They started playing on the wheel and walking around the tent as usual. Then Berg fell asleep, and began to snore. All playing stopped. The silence was deafening! You could almost hear them saying," who or what is THAT?" it lasted about 5 minutes, and then the play began again!
        On the second night, both of us fell asleep quite quickly. Early in the morning, Foehn began barking loudly. I looked at the clock next to our bed and thought it said 4:45am, so I decided to ignore it. But, it seemed to get desperate, so I checked my cell clock and noted it was 6:45am. When I went to the tent and unzipped it, Foehn jumped to my hand and continued to bark desperately. I looked around for CB, but couldn't  see him. Foehn began to jump from my arm to the back of the travel cage, then back to my arm, all the while barking. S woke up and I told him she was ready for her licky treat, but he informed me they had gotten one at 6:00. We could not figure out what was causing her to bark and run back and forth the the back of the travel cage. When I moved the travel cage, a very groggy CB climbed to the top of the travel cage. We had put their sleeping pouches on top of the travel cage because S felt the room was very cold and didn't want them to sleep on the floor. We waited figuring they would both be going into the pouch, but, CB just froze on top of the cage and Foehn continued her barking and running back and forth. She never tried to get out of the tent, or climb up my arm, just ran back and forth barking the whole time.
      It finally dawned on me to put their pouches on the floor of the tent, and, sure enough, as soon as I did that, the barking stopped and two very sleepy little gliders crawled into their pouch and fell fast asleep! We could not believe she was actually trying to communicate something to us like that! It was like Lassie, trying to drag Timmy by his arm to show him a problem. We were very surprised by this new sign of trust and bonding...
    I might add that by the time we left, my sister and her SO were quite smitten with the "kids".

No comments:

Post a Comment